Waterloo Region is a great place to live if you’re a creative person and are interested in the arts. I’ve personally participated in many great art events, attended some fantastic exhibitions in the region especially at the Kitchener-Waterloo Art Gallery, and I also work at an arts and culture institution!
My next natural progression is to take an art class. A friend of mine encouraged me to take part in one, wherever I’m most comfortable, and I’ve been browsing places ever since.
Here are some great places that offer a whole variety of art courses and workshops, from painting to printmaking and more. I find myself being attracted to clay shaping and calligraphy classes.
- The Button Factory – A short walk from Uptown Waterloo, the Button Factory is such an amazing and creative art space. I’ve attended a few concerts there and it’s very intimate. I’ve heard the instructors are really good too.
- Idea Exchange – They offer art classes at 5 locations in Cambridge – Queen’s Square, Design at Riverside, Preston, Hespeler and Clemens Mill. The art instructors are very well-known in the community and the courses are well priced.
- Kitchener-Waterloo Art Gallery – Located in Downtown Kitchener, this is a great location to spend a night of the week doing art. Make sure you go down to Ye’s Sushi after for dinner.
- The Clay & Glass Gallery – This is more accessible for the people that live Uptown, but a fantastic institution and they offer some very interested courses related to clay.
- The Art House Studio – Such a great place Downtown Cambridge. You feel inspired immediately after walking in the door.
Also, make sure to check out Night Shift, happening this Saturday starting at 7:00pm downtown!
Let me know if you know of other art studios or institutions!